Share this page

Sunday 18 October 2009

Ride of the falling leaves...

Its been a while since I went out on my own for a Sunday ride and I could not have picked a better day to end my famine...
It was one of those days that starts off very cold and you start to panic that you have not got enough clothes, but then the sun starts to rise and all is right with the world....



The above photo is my tribute to the last classic of the yr -the Ride of the falling Leaves. I spent a week in Como 3 yrs ago and would love to go back.
Notice the Parlee Z1 in full winter mode - Ambrosio tubs, proper pump etc
I was so inspired by Philipe Gilbert that I attempted to bomb down every descent I could. That lasted all of 30 seconds as I realized the roads were too wet for my skill level....







This photo is of Knatts Valley - its at the start of my ride and is a lovely warm up - you can take it easy or start to hammer it on the gradual climb depending on your mood (and fitness level). I was dismayed to see that my HR was at least 10 beats higher than it should be, but i really should not be surprised as work post Cycle Show has been very busy. In a way its actually gratifying to see that you really have to earn your fitness on the bike and cannot take it for granted - you put the miles in and you will be rewarded. Skimp on your training and you cannot bluff it as soon as the road points upwards !

So the headline statistics of the ride - 50 odd miles in just under 3 hrs are not earth shattering. But as a reminder of the simple joys of riding your bike on quite roads all by yourself without a care in the world this ride was wonderful.
Heres to a long, dry autumn!

No comments: